- Worldwide 1.6 billion adults are overweight with 400 million more who are obese
- Costs US$93 billion each year for medical expenses in the United States alone
- At least 2.6 million people die annually from problems related to being overweight or obese
- Use up to 70% of clean water
- Pollute most of the water bodies
- Deforest the lungs of the Earth
- Use up 90% of the world's cereal
- Cause world hunger & wars
- 80% cause of global warming
SOME OF THE TRAGIC TOLLS of ALCOHOL:
1.8 million alcohol-related deaths per year worldwide
Cost of alcohol-related illnesses:
- US$186.4 billion in the United States
- Up to US$210 - 665 billion globally
- Liver disease
- Cardiovascular disease
- Amnesia and dementia
- Brain shrinkage
- Mental retardation
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome: Stunted growth; facial deformity
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
- Child abuse: 50% of cases
- Violence toward loved ones: 30% of cases
- Violent acts: 40??0% of cases
- Suicides: 20-50% of cases
SOME OF THE TRAGIC TOLLS of SMOKING:
5.4 million smoking related deaths per year worldwide
Cost of smoking related illnesses: US$94 billion in the United States alone
1. HEART DISEASE
- Coronary thrombosis
- Cerebral thrombosis
- Kidney failure
- Lung Cancer
- Esophagus Cancer
- Kidneys Cancer
- Bladder Cancer
3. CHRONIC OBSTRUCTIVE PULMONARY DISEASE
6. ADDITIONAL HARMS FOR SECOND HAND SMOKING
- Sudden infant death syndrome
- Premature deliveries
- Childhood asthma, bronchitis, ear infection
- Cleft lip or palate
** note, the World Health Organization 2008 report on Smoking says the global economic costs of smoking are not well documented, and it uses the US estimates as the main ones it talks about.
SOME OF THE TRAGIC TOLLS OF DRUG ABUSE:
Over 200,000 deaths each year
Costs of US$181 billion each year in the United States, US$33 billion in the UK
Lifetime cost of current drug addiction amounts to US$575 billion in the UK
Permanent memory loss
Higher infant mortality
Increased crime and violence
CRIME AND VIOLENCE
- Illegal drugs are a factor in 50% of burglaries in the United Kingdom each year.
- In the US, 60% of people arrested each year have been taking illegal drugs.혻
- Six hundred fifty heroin addicts in the US committed 70,000 crimes in a three-month period.혻
- US businesses lose US$100 billion per year due to employees?? drug and alcohol abuse.
- Australians pay US$53 billion per year for health care, law enforcement and lost productivity of drug users.혻
- 52 people die each day due to drugs in the US.혻
- In Canada, substance abuse is attributed to 21 percent of total deaths and 23 percent of potential life years lost due to early mortalities.
Estimated annual cost in the US only is US$180.9 billion in 2002
200 million people are using drugs such as cannabis -marihuana, hashish, ATS -amphetamine, methamphetamine, ecstasy, methcathinone, opiates -opium, morphine, heroin, synthetic opiates, cocaine.http://www.caribbeannetnews.com/article.php?news_id=8652
Increases cancer risk
death from homicide or overdose.
leads to brain damage
long term brain cell damage
Increases heartbeat to rapid or irregular heartbeats
Chronic psychiatric problems
increase in heart rate and respiration, a rise in body temperature, dilated pupils, and rapid body movements. Larger doses result in headaches (from increased blood pressure) , dizziness, restlessness, increased aggression, difficulty concentrating, loss of interest in sex, chest pain, heart attack, fitting, and experiencing a psychotic episode where the person hears or sees things that aren't really there, and nervousness, agitation and panic.
The long-term effects of cocaine usage include dependence on the drug for normal everyday functioning, poor interpersonal relationships due to aggression, work, money and housing problems. Other physical effects include nosebleeds, collapse of the nasal septum due to repeated snorting of a corrosive substance, increased likelihood of infection with hepatitis C, B or HIV, blood poisoning, and skin abscesses. Users may also pick at their skin to such an extent that skin grafts are required.
Smoking crack cocaine can cause breathing difficulties, a long-term cough, chest pain and lung damage.
Short term heroin side effects include but are not limited to:
- Depressed respiration
- Clouded mental functioning
- Nausea and vomiting
- Suppression of pain
- Spontaneous abortion
Long term heroin side effects include but are not limited to:
- Collapsed veins
- Bacterial infections
- Infection of heart lining and valves
- Arthritis and other rheumatologic problems
- Infectious diseases, for example, HIV/AIDS and hepatitis B and C
HALLUCINOGENS (LSD, etc)
HIV and other transmittable diseases
Loss of income
Loss of family
Higher likelihood of neglecting of abusing children
Increased crime, violence, mental illness
Drug Use During Pregnancy:
Low birthweight babies
Higher probability of death during first month
Health Care drug costs in 1998:혻 11.9 billion
Medical Cost Of Obesity: $93 billion
About 32% of Americans are obese. That adds up to 9% of our national medical bill, or $93 billion. California, New York, Pennsylvania and Texas each spend more than $4 billion annually treating health problems that result from obesity.
Source: Centers for Disease Controlhttp://indianapplefit.com/cost.aspx
In the US, 60% of people arrested each year have been taking illegal drugs.
In the US, 650 heroin addicts committed 70,000 crimes in a three-month period.
US businesses lose US$100 billion per year due to employees??drug and alcohol abuse.
Australians pay US$53 billion per year for health care, law enforcement and lost productivity of drug users.
52 people die each day due to drugs in the US.
In Canada, substance abuse is attributed to 21 percent of total deaths and 23 percent of potential years of life lost.http://www.ajph.org/cgi/content/abstract/89/3/385